Sunday, April 26, 2009

Strattera and Stuff

Last week, at the urging of a good friend, I set up an appointment with The Shrink for the first time in more than a year. And you know what? I'm infinitely glad that I went. Prior visits to The Shrink weren't filled with much conversation. I only came to obtain a prescription for antidepressants, not to communicate the anxiety and unhappiness weighing on my mind.

When I went this past Monday, I opened up a little more. It was quite liberating, to be truthful. I'm going to make an honest effort to see him every month.

This most recent visit also brought a new pill into my system: Strattera, which is designed to combat ADHD. Since taking it, I feel significantly calmer. My thoughts aren't racing as much. I'm not as paranoid. My focus is sharper. (I realize my reliance on meds will earn the reprimands of you Scientologists, but until you get E.T. to come down here and touch my head with his glowing finger, I'm sticking with psychiatry and the meds.)

There are noticeable side effects, though. For one, I get about three hours of sleep at most per night. Strangely, I don't feel unrested upon waking. Another side effect is a near-complete diminution of the sex drive. Not that I've been getting on the road much, if you know what I mean, but still.

All in all, I'm feeling quite well. I'm not too depressed anymore except when reflecting on how I impulsively quit my job. The Boss -- technically, The Former Boss -- says I can reapply (and I did) but I'm not holding my breath on that. I've applied to other places (Blockbuster, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy) and hopefully one of them will respond soon.

I do need some time away from my house, although I no longer feel the pressing need to hightail it for the other coast. I still want to take a trip overseas by myself -- surprisingly, my dad has no problem with it -- but I need to plan it out. There's this site I found, which lists some overseas volunteer programs, either short-term or long-term. You have to register and accepted for a specific program first, of course, but I'm sure at least one will welcome me. It'll cost about $700 or so. Not too shabby. Lodging is provided.

http://www.volunteerabroad.com/search.cfm

But we'll see how things go.

Anyway, during my free time (hopefully I won't have too much of it in the weeks ahead) I've been catching up on movie watching. I highly, HIGHLY recommend Milk, Frost/Nixon (Langella's Nixon is even better than Hopkins's, IMHO), Vicky Christina Barcelona, and The Wrestler. Great stuff.

And on May 2, 2009 I hope to see a Filipino beat the fuck out of a Brit. You're going down, Hatton. Putang ina mo!

Which I think is the equivalent of saying "the cunt of your mother." At least that's what my dad tells me.

No comments:

Post a Comment